VAMFF : River Island x The Iconic

12:00 PM

So I had the pleasure of attending the River Island show presented by The Iconic during fashion week. Not only did the UK brand have their first runway show here in Australia but they bought a supermodel along with them.

Ajak Deng is a stunning model who has been in the runways of high end designers like Jeremy Scott, Jean Paul and Givenchy. Its so rare you see models of colour on the runway here in Australia let alone a well known accomplished one. So when I found out Ajak was going to be walking at the River Island show knew I had to witness this beauty for myself.

I didn’t apply for media this year at LMFF and found out about the event too late. But by some miracle I was one of the winners from Fashion Journals Competition for the show (FJ).
The show was beautiful. I was fashionably late of course and got a good spot in front/centre. With Instagram on my iPhone and Cameras ready to go it was show time. The show was fun bright and full of colour and prints. My favourite was the Sports Luxe trend. Ajaks finale look was perfect and my favourite ensemble of the night.







It was the after show antics that was the highlight of my day. Seeing some of the models doing media shoots I decided to head on over to the front of the runway. I later saw a familiar face talking to Ajak and realised it was her sister Sahara. I met Sahara during fashion week backstage during a back of house gig. She was so lovely came over to me and we had a little chat and I was lucky enough to get a photo with the two of them. They towered over me of course. I must admit I got a little star struck seeing Ajak, which is odd as I can always keep my cool. She was so nice and humble. I’m so glad I waited and got a chance to meet her.  I told her it was amazing to see models like her come here and show that you don’t have to look a certain way to be beautiful and successful. She said that was exactly the type of thing she wanted to promote.


I made it on her Instagram twice :D and the caption she wrote on her last River Island pic broke my heart as it was sometime i could relate to.

I was looking up thanking my mother for finally letting Australians call me one of their own. I know some Sudanese people are having a blast in this country but this country has not been so kind to me until now. Thank you mommy and thanks to the iconic and River Island for letting me feel the love for the first time.. #Gnight!!


Thank you for taking a stand and addressing an issue in this country, which is usually ignored. You are a true example of showing us that you can live a dream even if people have put you down. 
Very inspiring. 
I hope Australia sees more of you Miss Deng.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

www.instagram.com/@everyday_like_this